Search This Blog

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Shrimp and Eggplant Casserole

  • 1 - 1½ lb. shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut up
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 cup butter
  • 6 slices bread, toasted
  • 1 cup water (for soaking toast)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 medium eggplants, cubed, parboiled and drained
  • 1 qt. water (for par boiling eggplant)
  • bread crumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste

Sauté onions, bell pepper and celery in 1/2 cup butter. Add shrimp and cook approximately 5 minutes.

Par boil eggplants in half-pot of water until tender, drain and set aside.

Soak toast in 1 cup water (using casserole dish) and break into bite size pieces.  Beat 2 eggs and mix well with par boiled and drained eggplant. Mix all ingredients together as you salt and pepper to taste.

Mix thoroughly and spread evenly in casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs, melt remaining butter and drizzle over bread crumbs. Bake for 30 at 350°F.

Serves 8 - 10.

Enjoy!

You can watch the video version of this recipe here: Shrimp and Eggplant Casserole (video) Signature Icon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jacques, This is Lee in Alabama. Being someone who loves cajun food (not too experienced though I have previously done a few dishes), eggplant and shrimp - I couldn't wait to try this dish. Absolutely DEELISH! I do think I could have parboiled the eggplant a tad more and then after draining it - maybe squeeze out just a little water (if necessary - I thought some of the eggplant in the casserole was just a little too watery). I also added just a little parmesan cheese to the eggplant/shrimp mixture and found that just a little more parmesan melted on the individual serving on the plate really brought it up a notch. I used Ritz cracker crumbs and soaked my bread in a little chicken broth. This morning I scrambled a couple of eggs (with some bell pepper) and microwaved up a side of this leftover dish. Fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was 16 when I ate this for the first time. I'm 54 now and I just remembered how wonderful this was. Now with this recipe I hope to capture a part of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts of All Time