Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Cajun Tartar Sauce

  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbs sweet pickle relish
  • 1 Tbs dill pickle relish
  • 2 Tbs chopped white onion
  • 1 Tbs chopped capers
  • 2 Tbs lemon juice
  • 1 tsp chopped dill weed (optional)
  • dash of Tabasco

All the ingredients are 'to-taste', but this is a good starting point. Mix all of the ingredients in a glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours. It can be used immediately, but its best if kept refrigerated over night.

Hint: Use lemon juice to adjust the consistency to your taste.

When I was growing up, I prided myself for being the family 'Saucier'. I was in charge of preparing all of the sauces. I could 'eye-ball' the measurements, and I never needed a measuring spoon.

Making a good tartar sauce is an art. The ingredients are simple, but knowing how to get just the right consistency takes a little time and practice. Sometimes I would make it thick, if it was going to be used to dip fried oysters, for example. Other times I would thin it out a bit, if it was going to be used on a flounder po-poy. I think you'll find that this simple recipe tastes as good, or better than most store-bought tartar sauces.

Enjoy!
KT

Signature Icon

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I've been looking for a Tartar Sauce recipe with capers. I've made it several times and have gotten rave reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts of All Time